URI application process
To apply for a summer research stay you must submit your application online using the link at the end of this page during the above timeframe. Applications submitted by e-mail are not accepted.
Non-eligible applications will be rejected, therefore, please confirm that you are eligible to apply before starting your application. The eligibility criteria can be found here.
Please read the following instructions carefully and make sure you have all necessary information and documents ready before starting your application.
When accessing the application form, you will be requested to provide the following information:
- Your personal and contact details;
- Academic qualifications. You will need to provide detailed information regarding your current undergraduate studies, including: your cumulative grade, your expected graduation date and an explanation of the grading system at your University (e.g. 4-point grading system with highest grade = 4.00; passing grade = 2.00; lowest grade = 1.00);
- Information on whether you have previous lab experience;
- Selection of your possible period of stay. Research stays must take place within one of the following periods: Period I (from May 15, 2020 to August 15, 2020) or Period II (from June 15, 2020 to September 15, 2020);
- Selection of 3 preferred research projects, including a short explanation (1-2 sentences) on why you chose each project. Please make sure that the projects you select are available in your possible period of stay. You can download here the detailed list of undergraduate research projects that are being offered for the summer of 2020.
- Motivation of your application and how this experience will advance your career (max. 1,000 characters)
- Contact details of one reference (from a professor or scientist with a PhD in a relevant field). Please make sure that the contact details are correctly submitted. The NCCR Bio-Inspired Materials will send a request to your reference to submit a recommendation letter on your behalf. The recommendation letter needs to be submitted by your reference within the provided deadline. Applications are only completed once the recommendation letter is received.
- Information on your English language skills. If English is not your mother tongue, and you are not a national of Switzerland or of a country of the European Union, you will need to submit a certificate of your English language skills (min. level B2/C1). The following certificates are accepted:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language; TOEFL score > 95
- International English Language Testing System; IETLS band > 7.0
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English; CAE grade > 67
- If you are attending a University or College where English is the official language of instruction, it is enough to provide an attestation that English is the official language of the courses you are taking.
- You will also be asked to updload the following documents:
- Your CV (in tabular form and chronological sequence; it should reflect the most important stages in your education and career. It includes personal data, education (including academic performance), professional and research experience, awards / prizes / scholarships, computing and other relevant skills). It should be concise and not exceed 1 page. Please upload one single file in PDF format (max. 1 MB);
- An up-to date official copy of academic records including transcripts of marks. Please upload one single file in PDF format (max. 3 MB);
- A certificate of enrollment at your Home University. You must demonstrate that you are enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student and that you will be registered as an undergraduate student also upon your return to your home University. Please upload the certificate as a single file in PDF format (max. 3 MB);
- Survey. Let us know how you’ve learned about our program.
The research stays are offered on a competitive basis. Students are chosen based upon their academic record, scientific interests, motivation and letter of recommendation.
Applicants will be notified about the selection decision via email about 6 weeks after the application deadline.
Please note that incomplete applications and applications submitted after the deadline will be disregarded.